Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Real Education

In reading a wonderful book, which was recommended to me through a grandfather figure, “The Education of a Wandering Man” by Louis L’amour was an eye opening experience into this writers mind. The book is filled with anecdotal stories of Mister L’amour’s life and as the title describes his education. Being an informally educated man myself it was easy to draw in close with his story. Though my travels are a extensive, nor as adventurous as the great novelist’s, but my spirit and love for education is similar to his. In his, what I call a biography, there is much description of books he read over time while working as a longshoreman and on shipping vessels. He describes them in such detail it seems they are freshly read, but all honesty at the time this book was written it probably had been a good forty years later. Books were found everywhere he went, on boxcars, ships, old apartments, mining claims and the local library. He took the initiative to educate himself. This book has one reoccurring themes that resonated with me, and believe with most people.
Mister L’amour in his book advocates education strongly, although not being a formally educated man, he endorses the universities. However, that being said, he makes a wonderful point in this book that the education system we see is executed poorly. This is not an attack on teachers by any means, but simply an attack on the “cookie cutter” education used in today’s schools. It is not the same for everyone. This is not an attack on teachers by any means, but simply an attack on the “cookie cutter” education used in today’s schools. It is not the same for everyone. Being a survivor of the public school system I can testify to his point. Being a student with a learning disability, which I would rather keep private, it is sufficed to say standardized testing does not fit in my realm. However, this is not taken into account when the brain trusts of the school system make their test. You are either student type A or B, but there is no room for L or M. So I have found self education, reading what I can and where I can and as much as possible the best method for me. I believe this is part of the problem in today’s society. We are not truly allowed to think freely. This so called free thinking education has become so standardized and conformed that students are smothered of any creativity, except what brain trusts find creative. On a final note, and something to think about, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Albert Einstein and Louis L’amour…all self educated men of their time, and that should make the case.

1 comment:

  1. I like your analysis of this book; there are starting to become a lot of parents out there now-a-days that are unschooling their children. Meaning they are teaching them from life experiences from traveling or hands on instead of giving them formal institutional educations.

    ReplyDelete