Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hondo Lane: A Review


Hot sun beating down on him, turning him hard and rusted with life, as he walked on through the desert Hondo Lane ventured on from his dead horse. “Hondo” written by Louis L’amour is in my mind one of his classic western stories. The master of describing the west brings a world of dust and harsh heat to us through this story. L’amour paints such vivid pictures of the west with this story I could almost smell the gun powder in the beginning shout out; then taken to a the smell of hot steel as he shoes a horse for a “widowed” woman. We walk with a man, raised by Indians of the west, as he navigates through the desert, and takes on a mission of virtue. The character Hondo Lane, a well known gunfighter, becomes intertwined in an unexpected romance and justice for a slaughtered army. He works his way through adversity using the skills taught to him by Native Americans, which allows him to survive the wild west. The story sucks you in from the very beginning with twists and turns that will keep pages turning. Even if you are not fan of westerns this is a story that is timeless. I give it 5 horseshoes.

1 comment:

  1. My mom reads a novel a day and is homebound...which means I'm bringing her a mighty lot of books! I had heard people say how good Louis L'Amour was...I should get her these!

    ReplyDelete